Sauer-Organ The St. Thomas Church is one of the earliest places in Europe, which documented organ music during church services. "Organ songs" were mentioned for a Maria Mass in 1384 and in 1392 for the Corpus Christi Mass-indications of a very early fostering of music from the St. Thomas founders of 1212.
The organs of Bach's time do not exist anymore. The organ, which can be seen on the west choir loft, was built by Wilhelm Sauer in 1889. Originally, this Romantic period instrument had 63 organ stops. In 1908, more stops were added to give a total of 88 stops. The Sauer-Organ was later restored and brought back to its original eminence in 2005.
Bach-Organ The new Bach-Organ on the north choir loft, situated across from the Bach-Window, was built in the year 2000. This organ is used especially for playing the organ works of Johann Sebastian Bach and was built by the organ manufacturer Gerald Woehl in Marburg. The sound quality of this instrument, with its 61 organ stops on 4 manuals and a pedal board, is similar to the organs built in Middle-Germany during the 18th century. The organ in the University Church St. Pauli, which Bach played during his time in Leipzig, served as the inspiration for the form of the Bach-Organ.
|Assembly of the Organists of St. Thomas Church|